Ever heard the saying, ‘Two hearts that beat as one? Or perhaps, ‘When love and lust take hold of you.’
These are just a few phrases that describe human emotions of love, an emotion that anyone can feel at any point in time. Love is undoubtedly the most sought-after and celebrated emotion. But what is the difference between lust and love?
The answer might surprise you. You might even feel surprised after reading this entire article. So let us learn more about these two powerful human emotions so that you can better understand them and keep them under control.
Lust is a strong sexual or romantic desire for another person. It can be a sexual desire in which the object of one’s desire does not elicit feelings of love.
Individuals experiencing lust might feel that their desires are out of control and can’t be satisfied.
They might feel they have to have what they want at any cost, no matter what it takes.
Love is a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person. It is a powerful and deep affection towards someone that’s undeniable. It is one of the strongest emotions.
Lust, on the other hand, can be defined as a ‘sudden, intense longing or craving for sexual contact with another person. Lust focuses on the physical or sexual aspects of relationships.
How to Tell the Difference Between Love and Lust
The physical signs of love are as follows:
- The person feeling the emotion of love will have a smile, and they’ll often giggle or laugh.
- Their eyes will be bright and shining.
- They’ll look at you with admiration in their eyes.
- They’ll want to cuddle with you.
- They won’t feel nervous or insecure when you’re in a room together because they feel safe with you.
- If someone feels the emotion of love towards you, they will likely become physically closer to you than usual.
The physical signs of lust are as follows:
- Lustful people tend to have flushed faces and sweaty bodies.
- Their eyes might be bloodshot, meaning they’re feeling an intense craving for something.
- Lustful people may keep themselves out of your personal space and watch from a distance.
4 Examples of Lust
- Lust is an emotion felt when you are in love with someone who doesn’t love you back
- Lust is the desire to have sex or perform sexual acts
- Lust is sensual pleasure or lustful thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that generally involve a person experiencing physical attraction or sexual attraction for another person
- Lust can also refer to intense longing or romantic desire for a particular object or activity
Examples of Love
Love is an intense emotion that can lead to a deep connection with someone or something; this feeling of connection makes love so extraordinary.
When you’re in love, you go beyond words, and it’s not just about the physical being you’re attracted to, but how your heart feels when you see them, hear their voice, or even smell them.
Lust is an intense sexual desire for someone that leads one to act on their thoughts and feelings without any control over themselves. It tends to become an obsession, leading to stalking behaviors and sometimes harassment.
This desire is often associated with pornography, making it easy for people to become addicted to lust-based thinking and actions.
A lust-based relationship will inevitably end up in broken promises and failed relationships as the once desired partner no longer hold the same appeal they did when they first began dating.
Love-based relationships are more likely to last because both partners can understand one another’s needs and wants, thus making it easier for them to compromise instead of fighting constantly.
Love an Emotional Connection
Love is an emotion experienced for the first time, and as a result, it can be pretty overwhelming.
The simple feeling of falling in love can make one feel euphoric and giddy.
Depending on the situation, an individual will experience a wide range of emotions, such as happiness, excitement, contentment, and satisfaction.
Lust and love have a lot in common but some key differences. One of the most important and apparent differences between lust and love is that lust is based on physical attraction while love is an emotional connection.